Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Wheel of Time Reread: The Shadow Rising part 19

The Shadow Rising: chapters 52 - 53

Chapter 52: Need
  • Nynaeve:
    • Trembling spread from Nynaeve's arm into her shoulder. She had certainly never seen the woman before. And yet...She tried to open her fingers; they clamped down harder. Surely she never had. Shivering from head to toe, she hugged herself with the one arm she had free. Surely...Her teeth wanted to chatter. The woman seemed...She wanted to weep. The woman...
      • Images burst into her head, exploding; she slumped against the column beside her as if they had physical force; her eyes bulged. She saw it again.--Don't know how she does it but the fact that Nynaeve can break Moghedien's compulsion is pretty awe inspiring and really sets us up nicely for when she fights her later.
  • Birgitte:
    • "I remember the lives I have lived as if they were books well-read, the longer gone dimmer then the nearer, but I remember well when I fought at Lews Therin's side. I will never forget Moghedien's face, and more than I will forget the face of Asmodean, the man you almost disturbed at Rhuidean."--Well our Forsaken in hiding have finally been revealed.
    • "Facing Moghedien is difficult, and not only because she is Forsaken. She hides and takes no risks. She attacks only where she sees weakness, and moves in shadows. If she fears defeat, she will run; she is not one to fight to the last, even when doing so has the chance for victory. A chance is not enough for Moghedien. But do not take her lightly. She is a serpent coiled in high grass, waiting her own moment to strike with less compassion than the snake. Especially here do not take her lightly. Lanfear always claimed Tel'aran'rhoid for her own, but Moghedien could do things here far beyond Lanfear, though she has not Lanfear's strength in the world of flesh. I think she would not take the risk of confronting Lanfear."--Perfect character analysis of Moghedien. I have to disagree with Brigitte here, Moghedien might be strong and sneaky in Tel'aran'rhoid but I truly believe that Lanfear is the rightful queen of the dream land.
    • "She promised to make me weep alone for as long as the Wheel turns. She said it as a fact that simply had not happened yet."--She makes her weep but it doesn't last forever.
Chapter 53: The Price of Departure
  • Gaul:
    • "Lie still, Shaarad," Chiad snapped, "or I will way I have touched you armed and allow you to choose how your honor stands."--I think this is Aiel equidistant of "I like you so call me maybe."...kind of.
  • Perrin:
    • "I am Perrin Goldeneyes."--Done, you are now officially stuck with that name!
    • Dream windows:
      • Egwene stood among a crowd of women, fear in her eyes; slowly the women knelt around her. Nynaeve was one of them.--Egwene being made Amyrlin.
      • Mat stood naked and bound, snarling; an odd spear with a black shaft had been thrust across his back behind his elbows, and a silver medallion, a foxhead, hung on his chest.
      • Rand...he wore rags and a rough cloak, and a bandage covered his eyes.--A low point for Rand maybe.
    • When he put a hand to his belt, he found the hammer, not his axe. Frowning, he concentrated on the long half-moon blade and thick spike. That was what he needed now. The hammer changed slowly, as if resisting, but when the awe finally hung in the thick loop, it kept shining dangerously. Why did it fight him so? He knew what he wanted.--He sure fights this whole hammer vs. axe battle FOREVER! I spent so much time reading about how much he hated the axe it's a little refreshing to see that he doesn't hate it so much in the beginning.
    • Only his eyes moved, studying the forest around him. A vagrant puff of air brought him a cold smell, human yet not, and he smiled. No sound save the ravens, though; this Slayer stalked well. But he was not used to being hunted. What else did Slayer forget beside smells? He surely would not expect Perrin to remain where he had landed. Animals ran from the hunter; even wolves ran.--Human yet not; a good way to describe Slayer. I wish I understood what he is/how he came to be that way better.
    • Dark hair and blue eyes, a face all hard planes and angles, so reminiscent of Lan's face. Except that in that brief glimpse Slayer licked his lips twice; his forehead was creased, and his eyes darted as they searched. Lan would not have let his worry show if he stood alone against a thousand Trollocs.--That's because Lan is...Lan. And he's that way until the very end!
    • Luc...and Slayer? It was impossible. Darkhaired Slayer looked like Lan's brother or cousin; if Luc, with his red-gold hair, resembled anyone, maybe it was Rand a little. The two men could not have been more dissimilar. And yet...That could smell. They did not smell the same, but both had an icy inhuman scent.--I always found it interesting that Luc/Slayer don't smell the same.
  • Loial:
    • Loial sat on a bench with his legs stretched out so they would fit under one of the tables, nearly doubled over so he could scribble furiously with a pen by the light of a candle. No doubt he was recording what had happened on the journey to close the Waygate. And if Perrin knew Loial at all, the Ogier would have Gaul doing it all, whether he had or not. Loial did not seem to think anything he himself did was brave, or worth writing down.--Loial the Samwise of the Wheel of Time.
  • Faile:
    • "Faile suits you. You should fly free, like a falcon." Patting Perrin on the shoulder, he murmured in a deep  rumble, "She should fly free."-Loial
    • "I will go," she said at last, "but I want a price. You always make me do thing the hard way. In Saldaea, I would not have to be the one who asked. My price is...a wedding. I want to marry you.--I like this sneaky Faile.
    • "I, Perrin Aybara, do pledge my love, Faile Bashere, for as long as I live." For as long as I live and after. "What I possess in the world I give to you." A horse, an axe, a bow. A hammer. Not much to gift a bride. I give you live, my love. It's all I have. "I will keep and hold you, succor and tend you, protect and shelter you, for all the days of my life." I can't keep you; the only way I can protect you is to send you away. "I am yours, always and forever." By the time he finished, his hands were shaking visibly.
      • Faile moved her hands to hold his. "I, Zarine Bashere..." That was a surprise; she hated that name. "...do pledge you my love, Perrin Aybara..." Her hands never trembled at all.--People always cry at weddings...even fictional ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment