Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Wheel of Time Reread: The Dragon Reborn part 7

The Dragon Reborn: chapters 39 - 45


Chapter 39: Threads in the Pattern
  • "Aes Sedai  I owe you a debt My water is yours, and the shade of my septhole will welcome you. Dailin is my second sister...She is my mother's sister's daughter. Close blood, Aes Sedai. I owe a blood debt."
    • "If I have any blood to spill," Nynaeve said dryly, "I will spill it myself."Aviendha and Nynaeve
  • "Not to them. Thousand of Aiel crossed the Spine of the World, but apparently they saw themselves more like thief-takers, or headsmen, come after King Laman of Cairhien for the crime of cutting down Avendoraldera. To the Aiel, it was not a war; it was an execution."
  • Rand:
    • "Rand does look like an Aiel. Well, he looks like the pictures of Tigraine, too, but she vanished before he was born, and I hardly think she could have been his mother anyway. I think Rand's mother was a Maiden of the Spear."-Elayne--Rand's mother, Tigraine, was a Maiden. I forgot that Elayne says he looks like Tigraine.
  • Captured:
    • "They took my herbs," Nynaeve muttered fiercely, her voice trembling. "I can't! Not without the herbs!" Egwene was shocked to realize Nynaeve was on the point of tears. "Burn them all, I can't do it without--!" Suddenly she seized Elayne's shoulders as if she meant to left the unconscious woman and shake her. "Burn you, girl," she rasped, "I did not bring you all this way to die! I should have left you scrubbing pots! I should have tied you up in a sack for Mat to carry to your mother! I will not let you die on me! Do you hear me? I won't allow it!" Saidar suddenly shone around her, and Elayne's eyes and mouth opened wide together....Nynaeve was on her hands and knees, head down and shaking. "Light!" she muttered "Doing it that way...was like peeling off...my own skin. Oh, Light!"
    • Their screams dug at Egwene's spine, and something shot out from Nynaeve's hands--a think bar of white light that made noonday sun seem dark, a bar of fire that made molten metal seem cold, connecting her hands to the Myrddraal. An d they ceased to exist as if they had never been.
    • Honestly I had forgotten all about this chapter. I'm not sure how I could do that because Nynaeve accidentally discovers how to create balefire. Plus, we meet Rhuarc is really cool!
  • Firsts:
    • "The prophecies say he was born of Far Dareis Mai."--Rand's mother was a Maiden of the Spear.
    • Rhuarc leader of the Taardad Aiel
      • "For the young, death is an enemy they wish to try their strength against. For those of us a little older, she is an old friend, an old lover, but one we are not eager to meet again soon."
      • "And one of them carries a ring I have heard of as a boy. The ring of Malkieri kings. They rode with the Shienarans against the Aiel in my father's time. They were good in the dance of the spears. But Malkier fell to the Blight. It is said only a child king survived, and he courts the death that took his land as other men court beautiful women. Truly, this is a strange thing, Aes Sedai."
Chapter 40: A Hero in the Night
  • Aludra and her fireworks!
    • She was older than he had thought, at least ten or fifteen years older than he, but pretty still, with large, dark eyes and a small, full mouth that seemed on the point of a pout. Or getting ready or a kiss.
    • "I am rescued by a gleeman and a young hero."
    • "I was an Illuminator...but this great pig Tammuz, he ruineda performance for the King of Cairhien, and nearly he destroyed the chapter house, too. But me, I was Mistress of the Chapter House, so it was me that the Guild held responsible...I do not tell the secrets of the Guild, no matter what that Tammuz says, but I will not let myself starve while I can make fireworks. I am no more in the Guild, so the laws of the Guild, they do not apply to me now."
    • Dynamite Fireworks and Matches!
  • Mat: 
    • "Mat, a young man with a knack for finding trouble."-Thom
    • "He is young," Thom agreed. "And not half so bad as he would like to think himself. Sometimes he is not."
    • "A bloody hero...Thom, if I ever look like acting the hero again, you kick me."
  • Mat being awesome and showing that cynical Mat isn't the real Mat--the real Mat is an awesome hero!
Chapter 41: A Hunter's Oath
  • Faile:
    • He was growing a little tired of considering looks from those dark, tilted eyes. She may be pretty, but she looks at me the way I'd look at a tool I'd never seen before, trying to puzzle out how it was made, and what it is suppose to be used for.
    • "You will swear by your Hunter's oath to do as I say, to heed me, and not to leave us. Once you know more than you should of what we do, I will not allow you to fall into the wrong hands. Know that for truth, girl. You will swear to act as one of us, and do nothing that will endanger our purpose. You will ask no questions of where we go or why: you will be satisfied with what I choose to tell you. All of this you will swear, or you will remain here in Illian. And you will not leave this marsh until I return to release you, if it takes the rest of your life. That I swear!"-Moiraine
    • "It seems you have found Min's falcon, ta'veren. I have tried to discourage her, but it appears she will perch on your shoulder whatever I do. The Pattern weaves a future for you, it seems. Yet remember this. If I must, I will snip your thread from the Pattern. And if the girl endangers what must be, you will share her fate."
  • He could never remember Rand or Mat being bullied by women on every side. Or himself, before leaving Emond's Field. Nynaeve had been the only one. And Mistress Luhhan, of course; she ran him and Master Luhhan both, everywhere but in the smithy. And Egwene had had a way about her, though mostly with Rand. Mistress al'Vere, Egwene's mother, always had a smile, but things seemed to end up being done as she wanted, too. And the Women's Circle had looked over everybody's shoulder.
  • "No questions, remember? And my name is Perrin, Zarine. Not 'big man,' or 'blacksmith," or anything else. Perrin. Perrin Aybara."
    • "And mine is Faile, shaggy-hair."
  • Perrin and Faile are my second favorite couple after Lan and Nynaeve.
Chapter 42: Easing the Badger
  • "Why, farmboy, I do not think I ever knew a man your age who could still blush."-Faile
  • Gray Men:
    • The smell of wrongness was there, as at Jarra and the edge of Remen, and this time it was not going away. It seemed to be coming from something within the common room.
  • "The Shadow has made his importance in the Pattern known to me, if not clear. I was a fool. Rand is so strongly ta'veren that I ignored what it must mean that he had two others close by him. With Perrin and Mat, the Amyrlin may still be able to affect the course of events. With Rand loose, she will have to. Tell her what has happened, my Gaidin."-Moiraine
Chapter 43: Shadowbrothers
  • Perrin:
    • "How did you know them, blacksmith?" he asked quietly. "Their taint of evil is not strong enough for Moiraine or me to sense. Gray Men have walked past a hundred guards without being noticed, and Warders among them."
      • Very conscious of Zarine's eyes on him, Perrin tried to make his voice even softer than Lan's. "I...I smelled them. I've smelled them before, at Jarra and at Remen, but it always vanished."-Lan and Perrin
  • Darkhounds:
    • Pressed into the top of the stone mounting block were two prints, as if a huge hound had rested  its forepaws there. The smell that was almost burned sulphur was strongest here. Dogs don't make footprints in stone. Light, they don't! He could make out the trail Lan had followed, too. The hound had trotted up the street as fas as the mounting block, then turned and gone back the way it had come. Leaving tracks in the stone as if they had been plowed field. The just don't!
      • "Darkhound," Lan said, and Zarine gasped. Loial moaned softly. For an Ogier. "A Darkhound leaves no mark on dirt, blacksmith, not even on mud, but stone is another matter. There hasn't been a Darkhound seen south of the Mountains of Dhoom since the Trolloc Wars. This one was hunting for something, I'd say. And now that it has found it, it has gone to tell its master."
  • Wolves:
    • Ba'alzamon/Heartfang
    • Lanfear/Moonhunter
    • Darkhounds/Shadowbrothers
    • Gray Man/The Not Dead
  • "Your wolf dreams tell as truly as a Dreamer's, Perrin. The Forsaken are loose, and one of them rules in Illian."
Chapter 44: Hunted
  • Sammael is ruling Illian.
  • "If somebody else sent them, why did they not tell him? They're all Darkfriends, aren't they? And why me, Moiraine? Why me? Rand is the bloody Dragon Reborn!"-Perrin
    • He heard the gasps from Zarine and Nieda, and only then realized what he had said.
    • I always enjoyed Perrin and Moiraine dropping these little bombs in front of Faile.
  • "Perhaps," Moiraine said. "Or perhaps Mat. Remember that he is ta'veren also, and he blew the Horn of Valere."
    • Zarine made a strangled sound. "He blew it? Someone has found it already?"
  • Balefire:
    • "Something forbidden," Moiraine said coolly. "Forbidden by vows almost as strong as the Three Oaths...Something not used in nearly two thousand years. Something I might be stilled just for knowing."
    • Nynaeve just used Balefire a couple of chapters ago.
  • Mat and fire works!
    • Mat scaring Thom with the fireworks...classic
Chapter 45: Caemlyn
  • Mat:
    • The sickness appeared to have erased parts of his memory. He could look at an inn, its upper floor sticking out over the ground floor all the way around and its sign creaking in the breeze, and remember seeing it before, yet not recall another thing he could see from that spot. A hundred paces of the street might abruptly spark in his memory, while the parts before and after remained as mysterious as dice still in the cup.
    • He noticed a leather-bound copy of The Travels of Jain Farstrider on a table near the door. He had always meant to read that--Rand and Perrin had always been telling him things out of it--but he never did seem to get around to reading the books he meant to read.
      • I forgot that Mat has never actually read Jain Farstrider...but he does meet him!
    • "I am lucky, Master Gill," Mat said. "You just have a good meal waiting when I come back." As he stood, he picked up the dice cup and spun the dice out beside the stones board for luck. The calico cat leaped down, hissing at him with her back arched. The five spotted dice came to rest, each showing a single pip. The Dark One's Eyes.
      • "That's the best toss or the worst," Gill said. "It depends on the game you are playing, doesn't it. Lad, I think you mean to play a dangerous game."
    • I always win, that's how, he thought grimly. I just have to win once more, and I'm done with Elayne, and that's the last of the White Tower for me. just once more.
  • Gaebril:
    • "Lord Gaebril has kept her from actually sending anyone to the headsman, but I'd not say she would not do it. And he has certainly not soothed her temper toward Tar Valon. If anything, I think he has made it worse."
      • "Morgase has a new advisor," Thom said in a dry voice. "Gareth Bryne did not like him, so Bryne has been retired to his estate to watch his sheep grow wool."
Chapter 46: A Message Out of the Shadow
  • It would, if what he had been told was true, but it was the truth of that he was not sure of.
  • Be'lal
    • "No. The fool would take it as a move against him, if he knew. And who can say what he chooses to watch aside from the sword? See that she dies quietly, Comar. Let her death attract no notice at all." His laughter was a rich rumble. "Those ignorant slatterns in their Tower will have a difficult time producing her after this disappearance. This may all be just as well. let it be done quickly. Quickly, before he has time to take he himself."
  • Tallanvor:
    • "Take the flower out of your hair," Tallanvor said as he sheathed his blade. "Do you think you came here courting?"
      • Mat snatched the starblaze blossom out of his hair and followed the officer. Bloody fool, putting a flower in my hair. I have to stop playing the fool, now.
  • Gaebril/Rahvin:
    • "Be silent, boy," the dark man in the gold-encrusted coat said calmly. He was a handsome man, almost as good-looking as Galad and nearly as youthful-seeming, despite the white streaking his temples, but built on a bigger scale, with more than Rand's height and very nearly Perrin's shoulders.
      • Mat had no trouble holding his tongue. Luck. It was stuck to the roof of his mouth. Sometimes I don't know if it's good or bad. The dark man was the owner of the deep voice, the "Great Master" who wanted Elayne's head. She called him Gaebril. Her advisor want s to murder Elayne? Light! And Morgase was staring up at him like an adoring dog with her master's hand on her shoulder.
    • "As my Queen commands, so shall it be," the dark man said. The tone was respectful, but he touched he cheek in a way that made color come to her face and her lips part as if she expected a kiss.
    • "Are you anxious then to milk cows, boy? Perhaps you should see something of the world before it changes."
      • Interesting. Go see the world before it changes--before the Dark One takes over and the world goes to...heck!
    • "I think the time has come, Morgase, to lance that festering sore on the border of Andor. By your marriage to Taringail Damodred, you have a claim to the Sun Throne. The Queen's Guards can make that claim as strong as any. Perhaps I can even aid them, in some small way. Hear me."
    • I don't know when I realized that Gaebril was Rahvin, a Forsaken. Reading it this time it's completely obvious, but I also didn't know that the Forsaken were trying to take over every nation the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment