The Great Hunt: chapters 47 - 50
(The Great Hunt by Richard Vass)
Chapter 47: The Grave Is No Bar To My Call
- Ingtar a Darkfriend. I don't care. He was still my friend.
- Sword fighting:
- Hummingbird Kisses the Honeyrose. The Moon on the Water. The Swallow Rides the Air. The Dove Takes Flight. The Falling Leaf. The Kingfisher Takes a Silverback. Bundling Straw. Heron Wading in the Rushes.
- "I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I'm sure of it. Come. it is time to die."...Rand screamed as he felt it pierce his side, burning like a white-hot poker. The void trembled, but he held on with the last of his strength, and drove the heron-mark blade into Ba'alzamon's heart. Ba'alzamon screamed, and the dark behind him screamed. The world exploded in fire.
- "Saving Egwene isn't a waste of time!"
- Dagger Mat isn't as cool as he will be but he can still be a good guy.
- "It has to be there at the Last Battle," Mat said, licking his lips. "Nothing says it can't be used before then."
- The Horn of Valere:
- "It was a clear note, golden as the Horn was golden. The trees around them seemed to resonate with it, and the ground under their feet, the sky overhead/ That one long sound encompass
- The Heroes:
- Rogosh Eagle-eye: A fatherly looking man with white hair and eyes so sharp as to make his name merely a hint.
- Gaidal Cain: A swarthy man with the hilts of his two swords sticking above his broad shoulders.
- Birgitte: Golden-haired...with her gleaming silver bow and quiver bristling with silver arrows
- One of my favorite relationships is the one between Birgitte and Mat! There's nothing like a good drinking buddy you can talk about pass lives with!
- Michael/Mikel the Pure in Heart
- Patrick/Paedrig the Peacemaker
- Artur Hawkwing: Tall and hook-nosed, with dark, deep-set eyes, his great sword Justice at his side.
- "It takes more than bravery to bind a man to the Horn...Or a woman...only a few are bound to the Wheel, spun out again and again to work the will of the Wheel in the Pattern of the Ages. You could tell him, Lews Therin, could you but remember when you wore flesh."-Hawkwing
- "I have fought by your side times beyond number, Lews Therin, and faced you as many more. The Wheel spins us out for its purposes, not ours, to serve the Pattern. I know you, if you do not know yourself. We will drive these invaders out for you." His warhorse pranced, and he looked around, frowning. "Something is wrong here. Something holds me." Suddenly he turned his sharp-eyed gaze on Rand. "You are here. Have you the banner?"-Hawkwing
- "We have come to the Horn, but we must follow the banner. And the Dragon."-Hawkwing
- "You pitiful wretch. You have sounded the Horn of Valere. You are linked to it, now. Do you think the worms of the White Tower will ever release you, now? They will put chains around your neck so heavy you will never cut them."
- The Forsaken are not all knowing! Ba'alzamon/Ishamael thinks Rand sounded the Horn!
- "Those who might save you will be carried far across the Aryth Ocean. If ever you see them again, they will be collared slaves, and they will destroy you for their new masters."-Ba'alzamon
- Favorite Lines:
- "Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain. So many duties."-Rand
- "You always choose women who cause you trouble, Lews Therin."-Birgitte
- "I like men with education, and wit. I have no interest in farms, or sheep, or shepherds. Especially boy shepherds...But then you aren't a shepherd are you? Not anymore."
- "You tossed him aside for the White Tower. What should you care if I pick him up?"
- "He knows, but he does not believe. I have guided his steps, pushed him, pulled him, enticed him. He was always stubborn, but this time I will shape him. Ishamael thinks he controls events, but I do."
- "I am called Lanfear, girl."
- "Lews Therin was and is mine, girl. Tend him well for me until I come for him."
- Interesting that Nynaeve didn't feel drawn to Rand but all the other girls did. But Nynaeve does partially heals Rand. Even though she can't heal the wound she probably did more than anyone else could have done. Or was it Lanfear that healed him when she touched his forehead?
Chapter 49: What Was Meant to Be
- He raised his hands to run them over his face, and stopped, staring at his palms in shock. There was a heron branded across his left palm, too, now, to match the one on his right, every line clean and true. Once the heron to set his path; Twice the heron to name him true. "No!"
- "Moiraine says Nynaeve must have done something, or you wouldn't have lived till we carried you to Verin, but Nynaeve says she was too frightened to light a candle. There is...something wrong with your wound.. You will have to wait for it to heal naturally."
- HELLO, Fisher King reference and the wound that won't heal.
- "I did not send Verin." Moiraine frowned. "She did that on her own."
- And this is where the big is Verin Black Ajah because she lied discussion begun. Well she is but not the way you think!
- "The only hope of the world is that the Dragon Reborn will be there to face him."
- "More than that. Worse than that. Padan Fain was the Dark One's creature to the depths of his soul, but I believe that in Shadar Logoth he fell afoul of Mordeth, who was as vile in fighting the Shadow as ever the Shadow itself was. Mordeth tried to consume Fain's soul, to have a human body again, but found a soul that had been touched directly by the Dark One, and what resulted...What resulted was neither Padan Fain nor Mordeth, but something far more evil, a blend of the two. Fain--let us call him that--is more dangerous than you can believe."-Moiraine
- Favorite Lines:
- "Ingtar died well, Uno. He died so the rest of us could escape with the Horn."-Rand
- Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain.
Chapter 50: After
- The end!
The Great Hunt is one of my favorite books in the series! So much happens I forgot a lot of what makes this book so good! Chasing the Horn and the dagger across Randland, Selene/Lanfear stalking Rand, Ingtar a tragic anti hero...soOoOo good!!
Next we start The Dragon Reborn!