Thursday, November 15, 2012

Wheel of Time Reread: The Great Hunt Part 3

The Great Hunt: Chapters 11 - 16


*sorry I am prone to excessive quoting, but it's only because I love every part of these books!

Chapter 11: Glimmers of the Pattern
  • Uno sees Lanfear again.
  • Rand
    • "He wished Moiraine was there to talk to. Wishing for an Aes Sedai. You are a fool."
  • Command/Duty
    • "If anything happens to me, the lances will follow you."-Ingtar
    • "I heard rumors from the women's apartments that you were really a...No matter. I know you deny it Just as you deny the look of your own face. Moiraine Sedai says you're a shepherd, but I never saw a shepherd with a heron-mark blade. No matter. I'll not claim I would have chosen you myself, but I think you have it in you to do what is needed. You will do your duty, if it comes to it."-Ingtar
    • "When Shienarans ride, every man knows who is next in line if the man in command falls. A chain unbroken right down to the last man left, even if he's nothing but a horseholder. That way, you see, even if he is the last man, he is not just a straggler running and trying to stay alive He has the command, and duty calls him to do what must be done. If I go to the last embrace of the mother, the duty is yours. You will find the Horn, and you will take it where it belongs. You will."-Ingtar
    • "You will do your duty, Rand. When the man at the top of the chain fails, everything below him falls apart. Too much is falling apart. Too much already Peace favor you sword, Rand al'Thor."-Ingtar
  • Mat and Perrin learn Rand can channel/he has the Dragon Banner
    • "That's right! The Dragon's banner!...Moiraine wants me to be a puppet on Tar Valon strings, a false Dragon for the Aes Sedai. She's going to push it down my throat whatever I want. But--I--will--not--be--used!"-Rand
    • "I may be a fool, but I intend to be a live fool...Look, I know you came along to help me, and I am grateful. I really am. But you just are not the same anymore. You understand that, don't you?"-Mat
    • "You think on what I said, Rand. I'd run, But maybe you can't run. Think of that, too...Sometimes you can't run."-Perrin
  • Fain can track Rand and company at all times but it is very interesting that sometimes Rand is just gone! I think this indicates that Rand is doing more than just dreaming when he sees Ba'alzamon. I read once that Fain loses Rand when he's in the Void--anyone know if that's true?
Chapter 12: Woven in the Pattern
  • Verin
    • "Well, Moiraine has never believed in telling anyone anything they did not need to know. Knowing serves no real purpose, but then, neither does not knowing. Myself,I always prefer knowing to not."
  • Nynaeve's anger issues
    • "I--I was angry...I heard you talking about a breeze, telling me what to do, and fire just popped into my head. I--I didn't mean to burn anything. It was just a small fire in--in my head."
      • I love how every Aes Sedai has gone on and on about having to be calm to channel but Nynaeve's problem is the opposite!
      • I also appreciate that is it is Verin who first discovers what Nynaeve's block is.
  • Egwene's a Dreamer.
  • Firsts:
    • Alviarin Freudhen (White/Black)
      • I never realized that Alviarin--the head of the Black Ajah--was at Fal Dara. It's not a surprise that she's the head of the Black Ajah, because compared to Liandrin she doesn't seem evil at all.
  • Favorite Lines:
    • "I'll believe she is done with us when she's dead--or we are. She is sly, that one."-Nynaeve
      • I'm really looking forward to the reunion between Nynaeve and Moiraine in the last book.
    • "No need to look guilty until I know if I am. And maybe not then."-Egwene
Chapter 13: From Stone to Stone
  • Firsts:
    • Portal Stones
      • "Aes Sedai used them. In the Age of Legends, when there were male Aes Sedai. He had a vague memory of the void closing round him as he fell asleep, filled with that uneasy glow. And he remembered the room in the village, and the light he had reached for to escape. If that was the male half of True Source....No, it can't be. But what if it is? Light, I was wondering whether to run or not, and all the time it's right inside my head. Maybe I brought us here.
        • Rand accidently uses the power and he just happens to be sleeping on a portal stone!
  • Saidin
    • "The core of him floated in emptiness. He could see the light--saidin--even with his eyes closed, feel the warmth of it, surrounding him, surrounding everything, suffusing everything. It wavered like a candle flame seen through oiled paper. Rancid oil. Stinking oil.
      • "He reached for it--he was not sure how he reached, but it was something, a movement, a stretching toward the light, toward saidin--and caught nothing, as if running his hands through water. It felt like a slimy pond, scum floating atop clean water below, but he could not scoop up any of the water. Time and again it trickled through his fingers, not even droplets of the water remaining, only the slick scum, making his skin crawl."
  • Loial wonders why Rand is trying to do something that requires the One Power.
Chapter 14: Wolfbrother
  • Wolves
    • "There was a way, perhaps, if he was willing to take it. He did not want to take it. He had been running away from it but perhaps, now, he could no longer run. Serves me right for what I told Rand. I wish I could run. Even knowing what he could do to hep--what he had to do--he hesitated."-Perrin
      • I like the fact that he brought up what a nunk he was to Rand. I understand Mat's reaction but Perrin has glowing eyes and can communicate with wolves; you would think that would make him a little bit more understanding.
    • Young Bull
    • "It was one of the things that he had come to him with the change in his eyes; he could identify people by their smell even when he could not see them. He could see more sharply, too, see in anything but pitch-darkness."
    • "There were only tow things wolves hate. All else they merely endured, but fire and Trollocs they hated, and they would go through fire to kill Trollocs."
    • "Wolves would kill me, but men were not a preferred pray. Wolves remembered the old hunting together, for one thing, and two-legs tasted bad, for another. Wolves were more particular about their food than he would have believed. They would not eat carrion, unless they were starving, and few would kill more than they could eat."
  • Ingtar knows, or at least knows of, Elyas Machera.
  • Favorite Lines:
    • "He knows his duty."-Ingtar
    • "I do not like odd things until I can understand them."-Verin
      • I love the fact that Verin is just along for the ride.
Chapter 15: Kinslayer
  • "In his hands Loial held a staff as tall as he was and as thick as Rand's forearm, smooth and polished. Where the trunk had been on the giantsbroom was a small stem of new growth."
    • Loial sings himself a quarterstaff--very cool!
    • Rand says the song sounds familiar to him--This might be the first hint of a memory from Lews Therin.
  • "This land was glad for a weapon to be made. Glad!"-Loial
  • Ba'alzamon and Rand
    • "Oh, I know the name you now, Lews Therin I know every name you have used through Age after Age, long before you were even the Kinslayer...I know you, know your blood and your line back to the first spark of life that ever was, back to the First Moment. You can never hide from me. Never! We are tied together as surely as two sides of the same coin. Ordinary men may hide in the sweep of the Pattern, but ta'veren stand out like beacon fires on a hill, and you, you stand out as if ten thousand shining arrows stood in the sky to point you out! You are mine, and ever in reach of my hand!"-Ba'alzamon
    • "Father of Lies!...You're well named! if you could take me, why haven't you? Because you cannot. I walk in the Light, and you cannot touch me!"-Rand
    • "You find odd followers...you always did. These two The girl who tries to watch over you. A poor guardian and weak, Kinslayer. If she had a lifetime to grow, she would never grow strong enough for you to hid behind."-Ba'alzamon
      • I've come to wonder if he is talking about Moiraine of Egwene here.
    • "They think themselves sage in their White Tower, but my followers number even some of their won."
      • Black Ajah!
    • "Sometimes old enemies fight so long that they become allies and never realize it. They think they strike at you, but they have become so closely linked it is as if you guided the blow yourself."-Ba'alzamon
    • "I have a thousand strings tied to you, Kinslayer,each one finer than silk and stronger than steel. Time has tied a thousand cords between us. The battle we two have fought--do you remember any part of that? Do you have any glimmering that we have fought before, battle without number back to the beginning of Time? I know much that you do not! That battle will soon end. The Last Battle is coming. The last, Lews Therin Do you really think you can avoid it? You poor, shivering worm. You will serve me or death. The grave belongs to the Great Lord of the Dark. This time if you die, you will be destroyed utterly. This time the Wheel will be broken whatever you do, and the world remade to a new mold. Serve me! Serve Shai'tan ,or be destroyed forever!"-Ba'alzamon
      • Ok, I'm pretty sure that I realized by now that Ba'alzamon isn't the Dark One but Ishamael from the prologue of The Eye of the World.
    • "No one else lives who can teach you that."-Ba'alzamon
  • Branded
    • Rand receives his first brand
      • "Before relief had a chance to grow, pain stabbed his right hand, and he turned it up to look. There across the palm was branded a heron. The heron from the hilt of his sword, angry and red, as neatly done as though drawn with an artist's skill.
Chapter 16: In the Mirrors of Darkness
  • Portal Stones
    • "Worlds our world might have been if things had happened differently. Maybe that's why it is all so...washed-out looking. Because it's an 'if,' a 'maybe.' Just a shadow of the real world."-Loial
    • "Se says you were right about the Ways, Rand. The Aes Sedai, some of them studied worlds like this, and that study was the basis of how they grew the Ways. She says there are worlds where it is time rather than distance that changes. Spend a day in one of those, and you might  come back to find a year has passes in the real world, or twenty. Or it could be the other way round. Those worlds--this one, all the others--are reflections of the real world, she says. This one seems pale to us because it is a weak reflection, a world that had little chance of ever being. Others are almost as likely as ours. Those are as solid as our world, and have people. The same people, she say, Rand. Imagine it! You could go to one of them and meet yourself. The Pattern has infinite variation, she says, and every variation that can be, will be."
      • Sounds a little like what the Accepted Test does.
  • The Horn of Valere:
    • "The Horn of Valere. I could not tell you how often I've dreamed of touching it, holding it in my hands. You must promise me, when you have it, you will let me touch it."-Selene
  • Aiel:
    • "The Royal Library in Cairhien is one of the greatest in the world, perhaps the greatest outside Tar Valon. The Aiel spared it deliberately, you know, when they burned Cairhien. They will not destroy a book."-Loial
  • The One Power:
    • "The Oneness...That is what it is called...in some places. The Oneness. To learn the full use of it, it is best to wrap it around you continuously, to dwell in it at all times, or so I've heard."
    • "To use the Portal Stone, he must dip himself back into the taint."-Rand
      • I think this might be the first time Rand uses the word taint to describe using the One Power.
  • Firsts:
    • grolm
      • "a snarling...something...If a frog were as big as a bear, or if a bear had a frog's gray-green hide, it might look like that."
      • They have to be shot in the eye.
    • Selene/Lanfear:
      • "She was all in white...she was tall, for one thing; a hand taller and she could almost look him in the eyes. For another, she was beautiful, ivory-pale skin contrasting sharply with long, night-dark hair and black eyes. He had seen beautiful women. Moiraine was beautiful, if cool, and so was Nynaeve, when her temper did not get the better of her. Egwene, and Elayne, the Daughter-Heir of Andor, were each enough to take a man's breath. But this woman...His tongue stuck to the roof  of his mouth; he felt his heart start beating again."-Rand
      • "I have never thought of it before...but if there is such a thing as perfect human beauty, in face and form, then you--"-Loial
      • "The ointment felt cold at first, then seemed to melt away warmly into his flesh. And it worked as well as Nynaeve's ointments sometimes did. He stared in amazement as the redness faded and the swelling went down under her stroking fingers."
        • Did she just Heal Rand?
      • "Offend me? I am not offended, but I'm no Aes Sedai." Her lips curled in a sneer; even that was beautiful. "They cower in what they think is safety when they could do so much. They serve when they could rule, let me fight wars when they could bring order to the world. No, never call me Aes Sedai."-Selene
      • I know Rand's a 18 year old virgin but I mean honestly how can he not see through her story and her always wanting him to channel and seek greatness. Plus she knows a ridiculous amount about the Age of Legends, the Ways and Portal Stone worlds. 
  • Favorite Lines:
    • "You made a choice; now the duty is yours."-Rand
    • "A man who will not die to save a woman is no man...it was my honor."-Rand
    • "A man of duty...I like that."-Selene
    • "Some men...choose to seek greatness, while others are forced to it. It is always better to choose than to be forced to. A Man who's forced is never completely his own master. He must dance on the strings of those who forced him."-Selene
    • "You'll find your legend."-Selene
    • "You always are so stubborn. Well, I can admire stubbornness in a man. There is little to a man who's too easily biddable."-Selene

No comments:

Post a Comment