Thursday, August 9, 2012

Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith

I first heard of Crown Duel when it arrived in my mail box, a graduation gift from an amazing friend! Simply knowing that Mecham recommended it, was enough to make me want to read it--and I'm so glad I did! I took it camping this last weekend and two nights later I was done. Crown duel follows the adventures of the young Countess Meliara as she strives to fulfill the promise she made to her dying Father to protect their people from the growing greed of the King. Of course this leads to war and even more exciting to the Marquis of Shevraeth! The copy of Crown Duel I have contains both Crown and Court duel so luckily I was not left to wonder what happens after the first book! What happens? Well Mel goes to the Court, and who's at Court, that's right Shevraeth!! I highly recommend this book it's a fun read!

TANGENTS:

  • I am completely in love with Shevreath (Vidanric)! I loved how he courted Mel through letters and gifts! I thought the ring was a big give away because it was blue which in one of his house colors--I at least knew it was him and I kept expecting her to find something that he'd written since they kept bringing up the fact that he was writing all the time!! But I love the fact that he never let Mel's supposed hatred of him stop him from trying to win her heart, he just found another medium that let her get to know him--and grow to love him--without her pride get in the way.
  • I like the fact that Mel realizes her weakness--Ignorance--but she doesn't accept it. She becomes determined to fix it by reading and studying. Not only does she want to learn everything she can but more importantly she wants to learn to apply it.
    • I'm glad she decided to fix it because I started to get upset with her when she let her pride make her decisions for her.
  • I really liked the way the first book ended. Yes, I wanted Mel and Shevreath to get together but Mel was not ready for that. She needed to go home and learn what she should have been taught while growing up.
  • I loved Mel's relationship with her brother.
  • Knee length hair? That seemed a little unrealistic but lets be honest this is a fantasy novel!!
  • The wager! Oh my freaking goodness, I think I might have actually squealed with delight when I read it, but I know I did when she walked in and Shevreath was all ready there!
  • I would have liked to know more about the Hill People, the fire sticks and the Covenant.

No comments:

Post a Comment