Friday, March 9, 2012

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

The second novel in George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series was very good! Martin has created a mass of grey characters. The more you get to know these characters the more you see that no one is simply good or bad--they're human made up of both evil and honorable parts. A Clash of Kings gives an unglamorized view of knights and knighthood.  We're shown that the Arthurian medieval view of war is unrealistic, war isn't romantic. Knights are soldiers, this is something that the wide eyed innocent Sansa begins to learn. War is going on everywhere! Arya is so clever, I loved when she chose the third name! Tyrion is in his prime as the King's Hand. It's an intense story, with intense characters--again Martin's books are very adult fantasy.


TANGENTS:
-If Winter is really coming and it can last for who knows how long--WHY are they fighting?! They're destroy countless crops--everyone is going to freaking starve!
-I'm beginning to like Sansa. She was a little blah in the first book.
-I knew Bran wasn't dead!! But I'm still weary of Jojen and Meera.
-I totally ship Arya and Gendry!
-Jaqen H'ghar, I really hope we see him again!
-Theon is a complete bastard and not a cool one like Jon or Gendry.
-What the heck is up with Melisandre? Will someone kill her already, she totally creeps me out!

No comments:

Post a Comment