Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear

A couple weeks ago I wore a cloche hat to church and Sister Wright said I reminded her of Maisie Dobbs. Of course this intriqued me because I had no idea who she was. Much to my delight, Maisie Dobbs is a psychological investigator in a book series by Jacqueline Winspear! I really liked this first book!

Maisie Dobbs is an investigator who during one of her investigations comes upon some graves with only the First name of the people buried there. This intrigues her, and leads us to the true mystery of the novel! The more she digs to find out the truth the closer to the surface her past comes! It's great!

TANGENTS:

Oh poor Simon...and Maisie! They were so in love. And what a terrible way to go. It's always been my fear that I will wake up and be perfectly competent but left without any way to communicate. And who knows if Simon is all there but oh it's so sad.

I totally can feel for her and understand why she hadn't gone to see him before. How do you face the person. They're the same person you loved so much...but they aren't there anymore.

I feel that she has really distanced herself from others since the war. I hope that is addressed in later novels.

I loved the details of the clothing that is worn! I have decided that I need a blue cloche hat because my black one isn't enough!

I how Winspear shows us how English society changed after WWI. How the middle class started to become more prominient. Maisie isn't from high society but because she is smart and works hard she is able to make her way from below the stairs to above them! It's truely a great book!

No comments:

Post a Comment